Sunday, January 13, 2013

- Hi! Where are you going?
- Oh, hi! I must be in the restaurant at 6 p.m, so I'm leavin' now, cause lately I've been arrivin' rather late, and my boss is gettin' annoyed, you know.
-  Yep, that old bitch is pretty annoying. So can I go with you? Gotta go to the supermarket, it's on the way.
- Sure.
- So everything ok?
- Yeah, pretty much. The job is fine. It's not much money, but I don't work too many hours, so it's alright. The only problem is my boss. God, she's so severe with me, and it complicates things sometimes. But in general it's okay.
- Good. Call me if you need someone to help you gettin' rid of her.
- Are you a gangster now?
- Just kiddin'.
- I really hope so. (He winked an eye)
- So Sam told me you both went to the cinema last week. Was it a kind of date or something?
- Yeah, kinda. I mean, I don't know, I'm not sure. She asked me out, and I really wanted to see that movie. Besides, she's so funny, and I had a good time.
- Oh, look at you, you're talking about a girl without mentionin' her boobs, or her ass. That's very unusual! Don't tell me you're fallin' in love with her.. that would be really weird.. Mark, the perpetual single, fallin' in love for the first time.
- Hahahahaha yeah, it would be odd, wouldn't it? I mean, I'm not used to date girls. I just hang around with them for one night or two and that's all. I'm not a relationship guy, you know. But..
- But what?
- I don't know. It's not that easy being alone all the time. Watching couples all around me, sharing something serious, makes me wonder sometimes. I mean, they look so happy, all of them. And it could be great sharing everything with somebody, and all that shit you know.
- Yeak, I know. But I didn't think you were that kind of guy. You are too independent, too free.. to scared of commitment, aren't you?
- Yep, I guess.
- Wow, you're really surprising me here.. I mean, you've changed! You're not Mark.. where the fuck is the real Mark? C'mon man!
- I don't know Maggie, I had a really good time with Sam. It was really nice, and we have a lot of things in common.
- A lot of thing in common? You and Sam? Really?
- Yeah, she's amazing! She listens to punk music, and she likes skate, and she plays video games. I mean, she's really cool.
- Sam told you she plays video games? Oh my god! Punk music, yeah that's really interesting. Did you ask her to tell you which groups she likes?
- No. I was puzzled when she told me that, so she kept on speaking.
- Oh, got it.
- Everything ok?
- Yeah yeah, I was a bit surprised. Didn't know Sam liked all that stuff, and I'm one of her best friends.
- Probably she has just started doing those things.
- Yeah, that's the explanation.
(They kept on waking in silence for a while)
- Can I ask you something?
- Go ahead.
- Did you kiss her?
- Yeah, I kissed her. (He seemed nervous)
- And what did you feel?
(Silence)
- Don't be shy, tell me what you felt.
- I, I felt like.. like, like the sky was falling, and the earth was quakin', and the world was fallin' down, but I didn't care. 
(He looked at her smiling)
- The moment her lips touched mine, it was like I was able to fly. It made me tremble. And when I looked into her eyes, she was smilin' at me, in a way that she made me feel I was the more special man in the world. And I couldn't help smilin' back. And in that exact moment, I think I felt in love with her. 
- Well, that's cool.
- Didn't she tell you we had kissed?
(She was feeling dizzy, she looked down. She started sweatin', and her face turned pale.)
- Maggie, are you alright? You're pale!
- I, I.. yep, I'm ok.. don't worry.. eh.. eh.. gotta go sorry.

She started to run, in a way she had never run before. There was no distance, only running. She had to escape, she had to run away. Couldn't stand another second near him. Couldn't bear hearin' what he was sayin'. She was dyin' inside, breakin' inside. Why? Why? Why? With Sam? With one of her best friends? She couldn't believe it. Painful. That was the word. Too painful. She called another friend, and they went directly to a bar. She drank all night long, and cried her heart out. That was going to be everything. No more tears, no more pain. Just one night of relief. And that was all.

Next day, Sam called her. They went shoppin' together, and Sam told her everything about Mark.
- I know he's your friend since long ago, so tell me, have you talked with him? Have he told you something about me?
- Yeah. He told me he kissed you, and that the sky fell and the earth quaked. It was so beautiful everything he said about you. And he smiled in a way he had never smiled before. He was so handsome. (It was difficult to say that without sheddin' a tear)
- Really? Oh my God, that is so great! He talked about me? Oh, I am so excited. He's so cute, and yeah he's so so handsome. I like  him so much Mag, I really like him.
(She looked at her friend, smilin' like an angel, she was beautiful. She thought Sam was the most beautiful person in the world, and she loved her so much. 
- I'm so happy for you Sam. He's an amazing boy. I think you both can be very happy together.
( She smiled with difficulty and swallowed twice.)
- You think?
- Yes, I do.
Sam smiled at her. Maggie smiled back. They inmersed in a hug, and then, smilin' and talkin', they continued watching the shop windows. The sun was shinnin', the wind was blowin'. Everything was fine.


M. L. Bing

No comments:

Post a Comment